Fabulous Eggplant Dip
This is the original recipe for what we all refer to as the Fabulous Eggplant Dip. This is one of the few recipes that I don’t mess with – I like it just the way it is. It tastes great on sliced cucumbers!
By Nora Kogan, originally published in Real Simple
- 1 large eggplant (about 1 1⁄2 pounds)
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped (1⁄4 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise (optional)
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Cut-up vegetables, for serving
1. Heat oven to 400° F. Using a fork, prick the eggplant all over. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet and roast until very tender, 50 to 60 minutes.
2. When the eggplant is cool enough to handle, halve it lengthwise and scrape out the flesh, discarding the skin. Finely chop the flesh and transfer it to a large bowl.
3. Add the onion, garlic, parsley, oil, vinegar, mayonnaise (if using), ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and mix to combine. Sprinkle with additional parsley and serve with the vegetables, if desired.